Newsletter


Email:

Name:

14:19 | 29th March 2017

News: World

Fri 12 Nov, 2010
By Sam Bristowe


Police searched for a copy of the film, but we destroyed ours after the Melbourne Underground Film Festival screening in September

Latest Headlines

Gay Soldiers shouldnt command troops say's Brazillian General.

A Brazilian general’s comment that gay soldiers should not be allowed to command troops sparked fierce criticism today from gay rights groups and a national lawyers’ organisation that champions human rights


SJP – SATC2 = LGBT

Sarah Jessica Parker has given away her tickets to the Sex and the City 2 premier in a bid to raise money for equal LGBT rights.


Five arrested in Kenya over gay wedding

Kenya police on Friday arrested five suspected homosexuals in a coastal resort town after hundreds of residents protested over a planned gay wedding, a local official said.


Prop 8 to be made into a film

Seeking to overcome a broadcast blackout imposed by the US Supreme Court, a pair of Los Angeles filmmakers have undertaken the task of faithfully recreating the federal trial on California’s same-sex marriage ban for the internet – all 60-plus hours of it; every “um,” “yes, your honour” and “objection!”


Aus police raid Directors home for showing gay zombie film

  • Send aticle to a friend
  • Send your Comments

An Australian film festival director Friday defended his decision to screen a banned "gay zombie porn" movie after his home was raided by police.

Richard Wolstencroft, head of the Melbourne Underground Film Festival (MUFF), said Thursday's search was fruitless for police because his copy of "LA Zombie" had been destroyed.

"Police searched for a copy of the film, but we destroyed ours after the Melbourne Underground Film Festival screening in September," Wolstencroft told AFP.

"We thought that police might come for the screening.

But they didn't. We don't understand why they came after all this time."
Canadian director Bruce LaBruce's "LA Zombie", featuring necrophile aliens, homosexual sex and full-frontal male nudity, was pulled from the Melbourne International Film Festival in July after objections from censors.

But Wolstencroft said he decided to hold a "public disobedience" screening in September, describing the film as an important work on schizophrenia.

The hour-long, wordless film, starring French porn star Francois Sagat, depics a schizophrenic homeless man who is convinced he is an alien zombie sent to roam the streets of Los Angeles in search of dead bodies and gay sex.

"We thought the interdiction was ridiculous and decided to hold a public disobedience screening," Wolstencroft said. "Bruce LaBruce has been a guest at our festival in the past.

"This is one of his most powerful movies which talks about schizophrenia. This shows the problem with freedom of speech in Australia. There are laws which date back to 1954."

Wolstencroft said he had sought legal advice as he may face charges for showing an unclassified film.

"LA Zombie" was shown at Switzerland's Locarno festival in August, where some of the audience walked out, according to one reviewer.

Source: AFP

 

Back to previous page